- Body:On 14 May, the three Prime Ministers of Burkina Faso, Côte d’Ivoire and Mali launched a special economic zone in the SKBo triangle, composed of the regions of Sikasso (Mali), Bobo Dioulasso (Burkina Faso) and Korhogo (Côte d’Ivoire). It is the first special economic zone in West Africa that operates across borders.
- Topics:Body:Six West African microfinance networks joined forces to create a new regional institute, the Financière de l’Afrique de l’Ouest. Based in Dakar, the new financing institute will start with 4.5 million clients and 800 points of sale.
- Body:Launched on 27 April in Abuja, the EUR 8 million programme will finance field projects that support agro-ecological intensification on family farms in five West African countries: Burkina Faso, Côte d’Ivoire, Mali, Senegal and Togo.
- 29 Sep 2017SWAC:Body:The fourth high-level meeting on “Peaceful transhumance and livestock mobility in the Sahel and West African coastal countries” was held by ECOWAS from 27-29 September 2017 in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire. Livestock ministers from across the region endorsed the funding modalities to establish the Regional Investment Programme for Livestock Development in Coastal Countries (PRIDEC), targeting the livestock sector of five coastal countries (Benin, Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, Nigeria and Togo). PRIDEC is designed to complement the Regional Support Project for Pastoralism in the Sahel (PRAPS).
- 08 Sep 2017Country:Body:The 7th African Green Revolution Forum (AGRF) was held from 4 to 8 September in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire. Established in 2010, the forum brings together international and African experts on African agricultural issues to exchange ideas and design new action plans for the Green Revolution in Africa. This year’s theme was: Accelerating the path to prosperity: Growing inclusive economies and jobs through agriculture.
- 13 Jun 2017Body:
On 12-13 June, the government of Germany organised an international conference on the topic of “G20-Africa Partnership - Investing in a Common Future.” The high-level conference gathered about 800 participants in Berlin, Germany, including presidents from Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, Mali and Senegal. The debate focused on the three pillars of the G20-Africa Partnership: 1) to improve inclusive economic growth and employment; 2) to develop quality infrastructure, especially in the energy sector; and 3) to strengthen the framework for private finance and investment in Africa.
- 09 Jun 2017Members:Body:For the sixth time, the High-Level Committee on Food Security of the West African Economic and Monetary Union (UEMOA) took stock of the region’s food and nutrition situation. West African leaders met following the meeting of the UEMOA ministers in charge of agriculture and livestock, on 9 June in Niamey, Niger, under the chairmanship of Niger President Issoufou Mahamadou.
- 09 May 2017Topics:Members:Body:The eight Commissioners of the West African Economic and Monetary Union (UEMOA) were sworn in on 9 May 2017. In accordance with Article 28 of the UEMOA Treaty, the swearing-in ceremony took place at the UEMOA Court of Justice in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso. The Commission is the Union’s executive body in charge of ensuring the proper functioning of the Union. It is composed of eight members, called Commissioners, who are nationals of UEMOA Member States. Three former Commissioners have been reappointed.
- 08 Mar 2017Members:Body:On 25 February 2017, Morocco officially asked the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) to become a full member. Morocco has been an observer to ECOWAS and has developed strong political, human, historical, religious and economic ties at all levels with ECOWAS member countries.
- 02 Mar 2017Country:Topics:Members:Body:ECOWAS ministers met on 9 February 2017 in Abidjan to discuss how to make faster progress on gender equality and equity within the context of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the African Union’s Agenda 2063. Côte d’Ivoire’s Vice-President Daniel Duncan participated in the opening session and encouraged ministers to take ownership of the newly approved roadmap, which aims to accelerate the implementation of Supplementary Act on Equal Rights for Men and Women for Sustainable Development in the Community.